History of the "Little Paradise"

Picture
The recorded history of Caramoan did not start until the later part of the 18th century, although stories by word-of-mouth, trace its early beginning in the 13th century.  The actual “Christianization” of Camarines Sur started during the beginning of the 16th century with the arrival of Franciscan missionaries in the region in 1578. 

  


 

 

Picture
Caramoan was established as a parish in 1650 and subsequently became a municipality in 1830.  The municipality was first called Gutta de Leche (derived from the milk drop stalagmites found among the rocks of Gutta Port) by Dutch travelers frequenting the peninsula. Later, it was renamed Caramoan, from the word “carahan”, a sea turtle that abounds the shores and seas of the municipality in the early days. The economy of the municipality has always been dependent on fishing and farming.  During the later part of the 18th century, settlers living near the shorelines were already engaged in fishing and farming, while settlers living in the hinterland were mainly farmers.